12 February 2012

My Fave Fried Chicken List

When I was in college, I was able to discipline myself from eating meat. I managed to stay vegetarian for almost two years or so. What changed the course? I got pregnant. My doctor prescribed that I should eat meat because it's a good source of protein. So I did.

It's actually difficult not to eat meat in the Philippines. There are only a handful of restaurants that offer veggie meals. Worse, there are very few suppliers of veggie meat. And the only meat that I'd rather eat more than pork and beef is chicken meat served fried.

Where to go just in case you're craving for one?

1. Max's Restaurant

A couple of years more and this Filipino-owned restaurant will be 70 years old. Max's happens to be a family favorite during special occasions (and even on ordinary days, if the budget allows). Its fried chicken is devoid of any coating to make it crispy. Its meat is just delicious.

Max's also offers an array of equally tasty Filipino dishes like pancit (a rice noodle dish), sinigang na baboy (pork sour broth with veggies), and chicken sisig (a sour and spicy dish made of bits of chicken meat and chicken liver), among others . If only I had the means, I'd treat my parents and daughter to Max's on a monthly basis.  

2. KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken)

I like KFC's fried chicken (original recipe) more than its contemporaries (I don't consider Max's as a fastfood joint, by the way). And the gravy that comes with it makes it yummier (Its texture and taste though tend to vary from one branch to another).

What makes KFC a preferred eating hub for me is its other mouth-watering chicken dishes, such as Twister, Funshots, and the bun-less Double-down Sandwich. And aside from these treats, I like its french fries, mashed potatoes, and brownies as well .

3. Jollibee

Like Max's, Jollibee has Filipino roots. Though hamburgers are its main fare, its crispy Chicken Joy tops the chart for me when I dine here. The gravy is good, though it'll taste better with KFC's version. However, price-wise, Jollibee's fried chicken is more affordable compared to Max's and KFC.   

My other Jollibee faves are its chicken burger, palabok (another rice noodle dish), macaroni soup, and chocolate sundae. I also like Jollibee's old toys and books collection drive during holiday season. 

4. Shakey's Pizza

Yes, I know it's a pizza house, but Shakey's also offers a basket of fried chicken coupled with mojos. It's quite pricey though. And like Max's, one has to wait for several minutes before the dish is served. 

And the pizza? It's delicious too (Well, it's second to the pizza which a good friend bought at the S&R grocery store in Alabang.

5. The Others

If you'd like to eat fried chicken, but the four eating stops I've mentioned are not around, you can go to any of these places instead: Greenwich Pizza and Mang Inasal (these are owned by Jollibee Foods Corporation), Kenny Rogers' Roasters, Wendy's, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Andok's, Baliwag's, and Chooks To Go, among many others. 

Refer to Chibog.com (chibog or tsibog means "to eat") to know the location and contact details of these restaurants and fastfood stores. 

There's nothing like home-made fried chicken.

Home-made fried chicken: On its own 

Another good, if not the best, option for fried chicken lovers like me is to buy dressed chicken from a supermarket or the wet market (where the prices are cheaper). Then marinate it with soy sauce, calamansi (a citrus fruit), pepper, and garlic. You may also add other herbs and spices to make the chicken meat (and skin) more scrumptious.  

Certainly, home-made fried chicken is way affordable than dining out. It's also one of the common dishes served during birthdays and other special family occasions.

Protected by Copyscape Originality Check

--------------------------------------
Disclaimer: Leann's Reviews is not an affiliate of any of the establishments cited in this post.